Job Title: Fresher Legal Officer – IRC Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Protection Officer
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Profile
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee ( www.rescue.org ) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development –bringing people from harm to home. The IRC currently works in 9 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kasese and Kampala. The IRC will be moving into additional/new locations in refugee settlements in Moyo and Arua.
Under the supervision of the Senior Protection Officer, the Legal Officer – Urban Programme will identify legal issues and provide; legal counselling and case management for individuals in the community and in detention facilities. He / She will facilitate referrals for legal representation to bona fide legal practices who offer pro bono services. Working with community structures, detention facilities, the Police and other stakeholders in the urban environment organize legal information sessions in various environments responding to needs and concerns of refugees in the urban context. You will be part on an integrated protection team and working in a consortium with other actors.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with Community based-Volunteers, Community leaders, the Police and other stakeholders in the legal sphere to identify issues impacting on urban refugees needing legal interventions.
- Undertake regular monitoring and visits of detention and prison facilities.
- Provide legal counseling and case management support to refugees and other vulnerable individuals.
- Conduct legal information sessions on human rights and key Laws relating to protection of refugees and other affected persons.
- Facilitate referrals for legal representation from pro bono agencies.
- Closely work with Police to provide necessary assistance to survivors and witnesses.
- Submit daily and weekly data reports, including narrative of high risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Participate in legal trainings as directed by the Senior Legal Officer.
- Conduct legal information sessions on rights and obligations of refugees, key offences and punishments in Uganda, International human rights laws relating to refugees and other persons of concern.
- Analyze data, highlight trends and legal protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Support training of state and non- state actors on national and international legal frameworks to targeted audiences.
- Undertake other administrative duties as directed by the Senior Protection Officer required for the functioning of programme and implementation that are consistent with the role of Legal Officer.
Minimum Qualifications for IRC Uganda Jobs 2021
- The ideal applicant for the International Rescue Committee Legal Officer – Urban Programme, Kampala job should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in law from a recognized Institution.
- At least two (2) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international Organization for degree holders.
- Strong understanding of human rights including gender equality.
- Strong communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities.
- Good understanding of International Human Rights, Refugee Law, Ugandan national laws and policies relating to refugees.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Experience in regular report writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Good standard of spoken and written English language skills essential.
How To Apply for IRC Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 2nd June 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.