Head of Administration
Deadline of this Job:
08 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Head of Administration.
Ref No: GIZ – RLP/HOA/072153
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federal enterprise and part of the German Development Cooperation. GIZ-RELAPU is a bilateral project of the Republic of Uganda and the Federal Republic of Germany funded by the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). RELAPU aims “to improve access to land as a key precondition for poverty and hunger reduction in rural areas for certain population groups, especially for women and marginalized groups, in Central and north-eastern Uganda”. For north-eastern Uganda, the RELAPU project has been implemented in Teso since 2016 and the RELAPU office is in Soroti. From 2022, the project is mainly implemented in Lango sub-region (Dokolo, Amolatar) but also continues some activities in different Districts of Teso sub-region.
GIZ-RELAPU received co-funding by the European Union for the implementation of a project component on “Responsible Governance of Investments in Land” (RGIL). The project is currently being implemented in Uganda, Ethiopia, and Laos with an objective to foster investments in land that are productive, contribute to sustainable land management, and respect the rights and needs of local populations, vulnerable groups, and women. In Northern Uganda, the project is currently operating in different districts in Teso and Lango region
Number of vacancies: 1
Sector: Civil society
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g., MS Office)
• Very good knowledge of the English language
• In-depth understanding of financial planning and accounting
• Broad experience of management and administration
• Willingness to upgrade as required by the tasks to be performed.
• Good writing skills; experiences in writing meetings minutes
• Excellent communication and coordination skills
The Head of Administration is responsible for:
• Efficient execution of all administrative processes in the project "Responsible Land Policy in Uganda" according to the rules and regulations of the GIZ and in line with eligibility requirements of the EU in close cooperation with the Team Leader, Finance Manager, and the Heads of Components.
• Coordination with the GIZ country office and the Finance Manager on the mode of service delivery
• Ensuring that all administrative staff of the regional offices of Mityana and Soroti and the head office in Kampala are well equipped, trained and informed to fulfil their tasks also considering fulfilling GIZ and EU-cofinancing rules and regulations.
• Ensure dissemination of and compliance with new policies, rules and regulations that emanate from PuR, Country Office, or the Team Leader.
• Filing of administrative documents in reference files and DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules.
• Providing administrative and financial accounting support and guidance to project partners for efficient implementation of the RELAPU projects.
• Actively participating in the GIZ Administrative Roundtable.
The Head of Administration performs the following tasks:
• Supervises administrative, logistical staff and other personnel as assigned.
• Takes the lead in the implementation of GIZ PuR within the project and advises the Heads of Components and their Technical staff on respective rules and regulations.
• Ensures that the administrative staff understand the assigned tasks and provides content guidance and leadership where necessary.
• Ensures that the output from administrative staff is according to GIZ standards and supports the Head of Components in supervising their administrative staff.
• Regularly gives feedback to the Administrators regarding their performance and conducts annual staff talks.
• Ensures that information (e.g., from Country Office) is passed on to Head of Components and administrative staff.
• Regularly visits the regional offices in Mityana and Soroti as the need arises.
• Ensures that information on project administration and financial matters is exchanged between project staff, partners, and other institutions, as necessary.
• Accompanies the Team Leader, Head of Components, or other team members to meetings when necessary.
• Independently visits establishments of project partners to provide project guidance on administrative and financial management accounting and matters to ensure due diligence.
• Coordinate’s consultant activities together with the Technical Advisors and Development advisors.
• Is responsible for organising administrative and logistical aspects of project activities (meetings, workshops, travel arrangements, etc.).
• Reviews contract documents in coordination with technical staff and follows up with Country Office.
• Is responsible for filing documents in reference files and in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules.
• Ensures all hard copy and electronic filing is always up to date and securely stored.
• Monitoring national staff leave days under his management.
• Monitoring travel schedules and organizes fleet management.
Finance and accounting
• Assists budgeting of the programme and the components in close coordination with the financial manager.
• Assists in monitoring funds expenditure in close coordination with the financial manager.
• Is responsible for implementing GIZ internal control procedures especially those relating to cash, stock, and payments and applies them in components and regional offices.
• Pre-checks travel advances/settlements statements before they go to country office.
• Monitors the availability of accessories and stocks and carries out procurement in accordance with GIZ guidelines up to the project internal ceilings.
• Reviews and guides the process of Local Subsidies quarterly calls for advances by project partners.
• Actively participates in project selection and valuation, audit, and compliance reviews together with the respective Advisor and the Finance Manager.
• Oversees preparation of local subsidies, finance agreements and local consulting contracts.
• Monitors and follows up on outstanding receivables and liabilities of the project both in the project journal and for transactions done through the office journal and ensures timely costly booking.
• Ensures that all financial transactions are accompanied by complete and accurate supporting information.
• Manages the cash flow and prepares cash flow forecasts in accordance with GIZ rules and regulations.
• Holds administrative briefings for all new staff (local and expatriate).
• Responsible for local procurement (negotiates costs, prepares orders, inspects delivery etc.) including quotation procedures, according to GIZ guidelines.
• Keeps database on suppliers and conducts regular search for alternatives.
• Ensures procurement all air tickets for all project staff according to the GIZ guidelines.
• Advises suppliers of defective goods delivered and arranges necessary follow-ups.
• Checks invoices, delivery receipts and other papers and signs them/submit for payment.
• Ensures that project documents are filed according to GIZ filing structure and guidelines.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Be prepared to travel and to undertake further job training related to his/her position and duties, if required. Special training programs shall be identified and selected jointly with Team Leader.
• Perform other duties and tasks at the request of Management.
• Master’s in Finance and Accounting and/ or Business Administration
• Completion of ACCA or CPA is an added advantage
Details of experience
• Minimum 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
• Working experience for GIZ and knowledge of GIZ procedures, processes, rules, and standards would be an asset.
• working experience with EU funded projects and accounting procedures
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] . Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs.
Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 8th August 2021.
Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.