Jobs at:UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Deadline of this Job:
20 July 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships Direct supervision is received from the Representative at D2 level. Advice and operational support may also be provided by the Director/Deputy Director of the Bureau and by other senior staff in the Bureau and in the support Divisions at Headquarters. The Deputy Representative will also refer to policies, standards, rules and regulations which are in force within UNHCR.
The incumbent will assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR's. He/she promote, together with the Representative, UNHCR's objectives and priorities through formal and informal contacts with relevant government ministries and departments, UN agencies, diplomatic missions, I/NGOs, media, and other interested parties to raise support for the work of UNHCR. He/she maintain regular contacts with the Representative and staff at Headquarters and in the field to consult, discuss operational issues, and to seek common grounds for solutions on activities and programmes of importance to UNHCR and also, contacts with persons on matters of great importance to UNHCR's programmes e.g. head of national/international organizations, embassies, UN agencies, and high officials/ministers in the national government.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties - Provide legal protection advice and guidance on matters of doctrine and policy to Representative, the Heads of Offices and protection staff in the country. - Provide advice and support to offices in the country operation on specific issues/problems faced related to asylum, refugee protection and assistance, including access to territory, access to RSD and asylum procedures, non-refoulement adequate reception and the implementation of durable solutions, including developing a Protection Management Framework for each national office. - Provide legal and programme related advice and guidance to offices in the country on developing and maintaining fair and effective asylum regimes in accordance with international standards and norms, especially with regard to national asylum/refugee legislation and the building of local protection capacity. - Provide legal and programme related advice and guidance on matters relating to the issue of asylum and migration to the Representative and offices in the country with particular emphasis on the problems of trafficking and smuggling. - Provide guidance and leadership related to the implementation of the Age, Gender Diversity Mainstreaming (AGDM) Participatory Assessments in sub-region and ensure the follow up on any identified gaps related to the reception and integration systems and structures in the region with relevant stakeholders. - Keep abreast of and analyse trends and key issues related to legal protection and assistance in the country, including preparing strategy and position papers with policy recommendations on specific protection, assistance and durable solutions related issues relevant to the country. - Directly supervise Protection and Programme sections and develop operations plan in accordance with the organizational policies and operational strategies. - Assist the Representative in the promotion of UNHCR strategic goals and objectives in the country, monitoring of the overall progress towards achieving them and in managing the Representation country office. - Ensure that appropriate security measures are in place to protect staff, and that the country operation complies with UN MOSS/MORSS staff security rules, guidelines and procedures. - Serve as OIC of the Country Office when the Representative is on mission or leave. - Any other duties as may be required or assigned by the Representative. - Represent UNHCR in the meetings and fora related to the functions. - Enforce local compliance with UNHCR¿s global protection, programme, finance and human resources and security policies and standards. - Authorize payments as per the organization¿s Delegation of Authority Plan (DOAP) and in accordance with UN/UNHCR rules and procedures. - Modify operational projects and reallocate funds, within the approved budgets and in respect of donor earmarking. - Perform other related duties as required.
• Education & Professional Work Experience Years of Experience / Degree Level For D1 - 17 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 16 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 15 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
• Field(s) of Education Business Administration; Economics; International Relations; Law; Political Science; Social Science; Human Resources Management; or other relevant field. (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
• Certificates and/or Licenses HCR Management Lrng Prg; HCR Managing Operatns Lrng Prg; HCR Protection Learning Prg; (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
• Relevant Job Experience Essential Minimum 17 years of previous work experience relevant to the function at professional level, with more than 10 years in international capacity. Senior positions in a large governmental or international agency. Desirable Knowledge of geo-political realities and their socio-cultural implications.
• Functional Skills *PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards) *MG-Political Decision Making UN-Analysis of geo-political realities and their socio-cultural implications (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
• Language Requirements For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
• All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
• As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
• This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
C001L4 - Accountability Level 4 C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4 C003L4 - Communication Level 4 C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4 C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4 C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4 M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4 M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4 M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4 M005L4 - Leadership Level 4 M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4 M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4 X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4 X001L4 - Analytical Thinking Level 4 X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
For a full job description and to apply, interested candidates are requested to visit the UNHCR career page at www.unhcr.org/careers - click on the Vacancies tab and enter job ID 38472.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for positions advertised in the Addendum 3 to March 2022 Compendium is Wednesday 20 July 2022 (midnight Geneva time).